Endodontics Specialist

Patrick Ryan, DMD

General Dentists & Implant Specialist located in Paterson, NJ & North Haledon, NJ

Endodontic issues, which involve the nerves, blood vessels, and other soft tissues inside teeth and around their roots, are complex and require specialized care. Patrick Ryan, DMD, his associate Naldo Barbagelata, DMD, and their team perform endodontic treatments like root canal therapy at the offices of Patrick Ryan, DMD, in Paterson and North Haledon, New Jersey. If you have symptoms like tooth pain or a pimple-like lesion on your gums, call either location or book a consultation online today.

Endodontics Q&A

What is endodontics?

Your oral health depends on the wellness of structures within your mouth besides your teeth, and endodontics is the branch of dentistry dedicated to the pulp inside your teeth and the soft tissues surrounding their roots. The pulp includes blood vessels, soft tissue, and nerves within individual teeth.  

Your tissues and the pulp inside are susceptible to infection, inflammation, and other complications. If you experience tooth pain, you should book an appointment at Patrick Ryan, DMD, to determine the underlying cause and see if you need endodontic care, such as root canal therapy.

How can I tell if I need endodontic care?

There are lots of signs and symptoms that could indicate an infection or inflammation inside or near a tooth that is affecting the soft tissues. A root canal infection can come from tooth decay or a deep tooth fracture. Here are some possible signs:


A tooth could hurt occasionally or often, especially while you chew food or drink liquids with extreme temperatures. A toothache can also stimulate pain in other areas of your head, like your ear. 

Unusual discoloration

Discoloration is normal, especially from stains left behind by coffee or tobacco. If one tooth stands out among the others with an unnatural color, it could be a sign of a tooth infection. 

Night disturbances

You might have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep because of your discomfort. 

Gum swelling

Swollen gums could indicate periodontal disease or a problem with the pulp within a tooth. You might also see something that looks like a pimple on your gums, which produces pus or blood when you press on it. 

Which endodontic treatment do I need?

Patrick Ryan, DMD, performs a thorough assessment of your oral health when you have symptoms like tooth pain or gum swelling. Sometimes, these symptoms point to your need for a treatment called root canal therapy.

During root canal therapy, your dentist makes an opening in the tooth with the infection and pulls the pulp out through it. Then, they sanitize the inside of the tooth to rid it of any remaining tissue or lingering bacteria to prevent the infection from spreading or recurring.

Once the inner part of your tooth is cleared out, your dentist fills it with a sturdy rubber-like material. You will probably also need a crown for that tooth to preserve its strength in your bite and keep it from breaking. 

Tooth pain, tooth discoloration, or swelling around a tooth are not symptoms to ignore. Call Patrick Ryan, DMD, to speak with a team member or use the online booking tool to make an appointment today.